Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Le football et plus d'education (football and more learning)

We woke early again for the trip to Tovar. It was strange riding back; it seemed both familiar and strange, welcoming and alien.

Today we had a present to bring to the kids; two soccer balls. Our Massi clone, Shaun, even signed one as Massi. We gave one ball to the boys and one ball to the girls. The girls accepted theirs conditionally; they wanted to play by themselves. I don't know if they wanted to exclude me or the boys. Certainly I was no threat, because the girls were good. I had hoped for a short, informal match between the adults and the kids, but it was clear that I would not be able to keep up with the girls or boys.

We caught an early morning math lesson for younger students, and Shaun and I could be heard chanting "deux plus zero..." for a while. The educational day for the Waveplace project started with a Haitian version of "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". This I could keep up with (the movements if not the song) until they started doing it ultra-fast; at least I wasn't the only one who couldn't keep up then. Our crack videographers/photographers (Shaun and Katelyn) were hard at work capturing this.

We watched the kids and adult mentors work with eToys some more, but the real event was a business meeting. Somehow several boys in the community (rising seniors in high school) found out about the whole project, and came to talk to Adam a few days ago. He arranged for us to meet them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment